top of page

I-20 Student Visa Information

Please visit for information regarding Foreign Students.

A Seminary applicant who is not an US citizen and does not have a “Green Card” should be aware that the Division of Higher Learning only accepts foreign students who have received a student visa.

It is imperative that you receive your student visa before you leave your home country.

The student should observe the following procedures:

  • Complete and sign a Division of Higher Learning Admission Application at

  • Provide copies of High School transcript and diploma, immunization record, and letters of recommendation.

     If your diploma is in a foreign language, we will also need an English-translated version of your diploma.

At the bottom of the translation, the  following statement is required :

     "I am proficient in both English and  _________ languages and translated this diploma for (name of student)  ____________ to the best of my knowledge. "

      The signature of the Translator is required. 

  • After the Dean has reviewed the application, a personal interview with the Dean will be arranged. At the Dean’s discretion, zoom or phone interviews may be substituted for students who cannot appear in person.

  • After the student has been accepted, the following items should be submitted:

    • Full tuition obligation

    • Copy of student’s  passport

    • Evidence of Financial Ability: “Letter of Support” indicating the name of the person who will be financially responsible for the student while she is attending Associated Beth Rivkah Schools, Division of Higher Learning.  You must provide a copy of a bank statement indicating that this person has the means to support you while you are attending our school. If your parents cannot provide a bank statement showing a minimum of $20,000, please get a letter of support from a relative or friend.

    • “SEVIS STUDENT REPORTING REQUIREMENTS” letter signed by student and parent. Please click HERE to download the form.


Steps to follow to obtain a Student Visa:

  1. Once we receive all of the above, we will issue the FORM I-20, (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status). The Form will have your SEVIS ID #.  You will need this form for your visa interview at the U.S. embassy.

     2. When you receive your I-20 Form, go to  and pay the I-901 SEVIS fee. The fee is $350 at present.  Once you paid this fee, print the confirmation page as you’ll need to bring it to your visa interview.

     3. You must apply for your international student visa through your nearest U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate. For more details of what you may need, visit your embassy’s official website or contact your embassy directly. 

(Canadian citizens need to have an I-20, but they do not need a Visa. See for more information. You will be required to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee.)

Upon arrival in the United States:

Upon arrival in the United States, please see Mrs. Sheindel Akselrod ([email protected]) the Division of Higher Learning SEVIS DSO (Designated School Official). 

You will bring the following: 

  1. I-20, stamped by the INS.

  2. A copy of your I-94 that you will receive at Customs when you arrive in the U.S.

  3. Your Crown Heights address and phone number.


She will then “register” you in SEVIS to confirm that you are attending school in the US.

(You have to be registered for each semester to make sure that you are fulfilling all of your academic and financial requirements)    

Students on an I-20 (F1 Visa) are permitted to enter the United States 30 days before the start date of their program.  Generally, a student cannot arrive more than one week after classes start and must be enrolled full-time for that semester.

You have 60 days after completion of your program (the program end date on your Form I-20) to leave the United States.


Safe travels!! 

For additional information:

Please contact : [email protected] or [email protected]

Copyright © 2023 Beth Rivkah Division of Higher Learning All rights reserved

bottom of page